Tuesday, June 21, 2011

No-Sew Napkins!

I'm not sure about any of you, but I don't mesh well with sewing machines. In fact, my last run in with one ended with me literally throwing it across the room into the closet door. True story.

So, when I decided that I wanted to MAKE, yes make, all of my napkins for my wedding in October, my skin was crawling at the idea of having to sew 250 napkins. I had originally purchased some polyester blend napkins but thought they were too plain. I've decided to buy 4 different prints in the same color palette to add some color to the white and burlap covered tables.

I haven't chosen the colors that I want yet, that's still a work in progress. Before I do that, I had to make sure that this was a do-able task. So far, so good!

Here's what you'll need:
~ Rotary Cutter (optional)
~ Cutting Grid (optional)
~ Pinking Shears with a decorative edge
~ Fabric

What I did was bought a few fat quarters from the local fabric store. This way, I could test this project out without having a ton of leftover fabric. Before starting, I washed, dried and ironed the fabric. So, I decided what size I wanted my napkins, roughly 17 inches square.


I used the rotary blade cutter to cut my fabric to size, leaving an extra 1/4" inch for the decorative edge. If you can cut in a straight line, by all means, skip this step! I however, cannot cut in a straight line to save my life. I tried doing this without the rotary cutter and grid but I ended up with trapezoid looking napkins, no bueno!

After trimming all of the sides to size, I used the pinking shears along the edges to give it a nice decorative edge and to keep the napkin from fraying! I found that it's easiest to fold the fabric in half so that you have the same cuts on each side but it's a personal preference.




Only 250 to go...I think I can handle this...maybe! ha-ha I hope everyone has a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment